New Orleans is known as a party city with ample adult entertainment from burlesque shows to voodoo tours and cocktails flowing everywhere in between. But the fun of New Orleans isn’t limited to adults. In a city with historic streetcar transportation, music around every corner, and delicious treat shops galore, there are plenty of things for the whole family to enjoy on a New Orleans vacation! Hop on the streetcar and experience the city from a child’s eyes with these 5 family-friendly things to do in New Orleans!
- Audubon Zoo and Aquarium– The Audubon Zoo is such a part of New Orleans that there’s even a song about it! Visit the over 100 year old zoo to encounter exotic animals from around the world at exhibits ranging from the African Savanna to the Louisiana Swamp. Take a tour ride on the train. Kids can cool off in the summer at the Cool Zoo splash park. Enjoy a picnic lunch, an afternoon walk, and some time at the playground at the lovely Audubon Park across the street. Visit the Audubon Aquarium downtown along the river for amazing underwater sights and sea creature encounters (reopening Summer 2023). There’s so much to learn and explore with the Audubon Institute!
- City Park– Your family could easily spend sun up to sun down at City Park and still have attractions left to be explored. Start the day with beignets at famous Cafe Du Monde. Visit Storyland for playground fun with fairytale themes. Ride the rides at the Carousel Garden Amusement Park. Have lunch at one of the many park restaurants or enjoy a picnic at a playground. Spend the afternoon at the Louisiana Children’s Museum, the Botanical Garden, or playing a round of mini-golf at City Putt. Paddle off into the sunset at Big Lake with a swan gondola ride. City Park is a must for family fun!
- Mardi Gras World– Experience the wonder of Mardi Gras no matter the season with a tour of Mardi Gras World. Watch artisans design and build the famous floats of Mardi Gras. Get up close with massive props and colorful costumes as you experience and learn about the history of Mardi Gras. It’s the perfect way to experience Mardi Gras year round for all ages!
- Take a Swamp Tour– Venture out of the city and connect your family with nature on a New Orleans swamp tour. Take your family on a thrilling airboat that travels from land to water at high speeds. Snap pics of iconic Louisiana swamp scenery. Encounter local wildlife such as alligators, turtles, and nutria rats. Hear tales of swamp legends and acadian history. Experience the unique cajun culture of Louisiana on a swamp tour!
- Zipline– Take your family on an adventure on the world’s first fully aquatic swamp zipline at ZipNOLA! Experience Louisiana swamp on a thrilling zipline tour featuring 5 ziplines, 2 sky bridges, and a spiral cypress tree staircase. ZipNOLA’s 2000ft elevated spectator platform overlooking the swamp has deck games and wildlife viewing, perfect for those who want to sit back and watch the action. There’s even a baby alligator to interact with in their gift shop. There’s something for everyone in the family at ZipNOLA!
No need to stop at the top five! From river cruises to museums, there’s even more for your family to explore on your New Orleans vacation. TourBigEasy.com is your source for the best swamp tours in New Orleans. Our team has grown up on the bayou and has over 130 years of New Orleans living experience! Book your New Orleans tour with us today!