Summer in New Orleans is full of hot entertainment and even hotter weather. But for a city with the motto of “Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll),” New Orleanians have mastered the art of cooling down and soaking up summer. Check out these 5 things to do to have a blast on your New Orleans summer vacation!
- Zipline Through the Swamp– Check off that summertime bucket list on the world’s first fully aquatic swamp zipline at ZipNOLA! Zip on five lines through the Maurepas Swamp where you’ll encounter Louisiana wildlife such as turtles, cranes, and alligators. Climb the spiral cypress staircase and cross two skybridges. ZipNOLA also offers a 2000ft elevated spectating deck with deck games and fantastic views of the swamp. You can even have an encounter with a baby alligator in their gift shop!
- Go to a Concert– There’s no shortage of music events on any given day in New Orleans, but summertime is especially full of live music, festivals, and DJs. Check the Superdome or Smoothie King Center for big shows like Essence Fest, Alicia Keys, and Shania Twain. Lookout for summer music festivals like River Fest and Zydeco Fest. You’ll find jazz music all over the city from the Jazz Museum, to live music at dinner, or a jazz brunch cruise. And there are always DJs and club events on Bourbon Street!
- Enjoy a Sno-Ball– The perfect treat to beat the heat- New Orleans snowballs are shaved ice treats that come in endless flavors. Order them topped with condensed milk, stuffed with ice cream, sprinkled with gummy bears, or spiked with a shot (or two)! Try a traditional flavor like bubblegum or strawberry, a creamy concoction like chocolate or wedding cake, or sample a local creation like king cake or praline. You can find them from a roadside stand or in a shop with different offerings at each spot. Best to get a broad sampling throughout your trip!
- Dip in a Pool- With weather this hot, pools are a summer essential in New Orleans. And like everything else in the Big Easy, New Orleans pools come with a side of cocktails and class. Check out the rooftop pool at the Ace Hotel with great views, cold drinks, and cool vibes. Enjoy a poolside day at the Country Club, complete with crab beignets, an LA sidecar, and southern elegance. Several hotels throughout the city offer guest passes with fabulous poolside bars and amenities for a perfect afternoon cool down.
- Day Drink– Nothing says “summer” like sipping cocktails, and in New Orleans, we’re always sipping cocktails! Toast with mimosas in the city known for incredible brunch. Tour Sazerac House to learn the rich history of alcohol in New Orleans, and bring home a taste of NOLA with all the fixin’s for a porch-front sazerac. With no open container laws in New Orleans, you can take a walk to soak in the city while sampling from summer cocktail menus that never disappoint. And of course the cocktail scene only gets hotter after sundown!
The “good times” in New Orleans rise with the temperature! While you’re enjoying all the cool ways to cool down in NOLA, experience the iconic Louisiana swamp. TourBigEasy.com is your connection to New Orleans swamp tours from a leisure covered tourboat to a thrilling zipline through the swamp. Our team has grown up on the bayou and has over 130 years of New Orleans living experience! Book a New Orleans swamp tour with us today.