When visiting one of the most unique cities in the world for the holidays, you don’t want to miss the opportunity to score incredibly unique gifts for family and friends. From cocktail mixes and voodoo dolls to fine art and French crystal, there’s something in New Orleans for everyone on your list! Check out these 5 holiday gifts to buy in New Orleans and where to find them in the city.
- Food- If there’s one gift you can bring home from New Orleans that’s guaranteed to please, it’s the food baby! You can find samplings of the famous flavors of New Orleans throughout the city. Share a beignet kit from Cafe du Monde, delicious pralines from the Quarter, Pat O’Brien’s Hurricane mix, or creole seasonings that bring Louisiana dishes to life. You can even ship a Christmas king cake from locally famous bakeries like Randazzo’s and Haydel’s to anywhere in the country.
- Antiques- New Orleans is rich in history and in the unique treasures history like that leaves behind. If you’re looking for one-of-a-kind gifts for distinguished family and friends, go antiquing on Royal Streets in the French Quarter and Magazine Street in the Garden District. Not only will you find that perfect gift, you’ll be amazed at the things you discover.
- Cajun Christmas Gifts- Like everything else we do in New Orleans, Christmas traditions are unlike anywhere else. The Cajun version of Christmas is of Papa Noel and his pirogue pulled by eight alligators visiting the children down the bayou. The River Parishes, just outside the city, host a bonfire lighting event along the levee every year on Christmas Eve with nearly two hundred 20ft bonfires to light the way for Papa Noel. These unique traditions are commemorated in books, ornaments, and more for delightfully uncommon gifts.
- Art- From high end galleries to paintings coming to life before your eyes in the Quarter, New Orleans is a city overflowing with art. Galleries featuring fine art, sculptures, and more can be found on Royal Street, Julia Street, and Magazine Street. If you’re looking for street art, you can find artists set up along Jackson Square and in the French Market in the Quarter. You’re sure to find the perfect gift for the art enthusiast in your life!
- Mardi Gras Gifts- When in NOLA, Mardi Gras is always a thing! If you’re looking for classic New Orleans souvenirs capturing what the city is most known for, there’s no shortage of Mardi Gras merch. Find Mardi Gras masks and beads in the French Market. Visit Mardi Gras World for a behind-the-scenes experience of the magic of Mardi Gras and score great gifts in their shop.
Share a piece of your New Orleans holiday vacation with loved ones by scoring awesome gifts from culinary, to elegant, to downright weird. While you’re checking off your list in the city, take time to explore Louisiana’s nature on a New Orleans swamp tour or a thrilling zipline excursion through the swamp with TourBigEasy.com!