If you’re visiting New Orleans for your vacation, chances are the world-famous cuisine played a role in your destination decision. New Orleans is rich and diverse in history, culture, and art, and it all comes together in the food. While you’re getting your fill of crawfish etouffee and throwing back some sazerac, you’ll want to be sure you leave room for dessert. Like jazz music, New Orleans desserts are one-of-a-kind and a must-enjoy experience for your vacation. Don’t miss these 5 New Orleans desserts that are to die for!
- Beignets– Is it fried bread, a biscuit, a donut? Yes. One simply cannot describe the taste of a beignet. It’s a fried pastry covered in more powdered sugar than anyone would dare add to anything else. It must be experienced and worn, and it’s best chased down with coffee and chicory.
- Bananas Foster– Bananas cooked in butter, dark rum, cinnamon and sugar- bananas foster is warm heaven served over ice cream, or pancakes, or beignets…yea we put it on everything. There’s no wrong way to enjoy.
- King Cake– There’s a season for this iconic Mardi Gras dessert: January 6- Ash Wednesday. A traditional king cake is a large cinnamon sweet bread ring with a white glaze and Mardi Gras colored sugar (green, purple, and gold). But during king cake season, you can find them topped and stuffed in an array of flavors from cream cheese to strawberry to praline. You’ll also find lots of other things in “king cake” flavor such as coffee, cocktails, cake balls, donuts, and more.
- Snow Balls– Not your neighborhood snow cone, New Orleans snowballs are unique shaved ice treats that come in dozens of flavors. Try a traditional strawberry, creamy wedding cake, or a local creation such as king cake or praline. Snowballs come topped with condensed milk, stuffed with ice cream, sprinkled with gummy bears, and of course in New Orleans, you can even add a shot. Offerings vary from one snowball stand to the next, so it’s best to try a few!
- Pralines– The perfect souvenir, pralines are a creamy candy made from milk, butter, sugar, and pecans. They also come in other flavors such as bananas foster, chocolate, and more. And in case you haven’t noticed a trend, you can also find an assortment of other treats in praline flavor. Bring home a box of pralines for a true taste of New Orleans and a friend for life!
There are many reasons why you may come to New Orleans, but the food is what keeps you coming back! And these New Orleans desserts will have you returning before you know it. While you’re wining and dining in the city, take time to explore Louisiana’s nature on a New Orleans swamp tour or a thrilling zipline excursion through the swamp with TourBigEasy.com!